Summer salads are the best, and today’s chefs are creating fresh and new recipes that make the most of what’s available. The combination of fava beans and sweet Oregon strawberries is one our new favorites. Here, Chef Luis Escorcia of Portland’s Altabira City Tavern shares his recipe. We love range of flavors and textures in this salad.
Chef Luis says that frozen fava beans or edamame can be substituted if fresh fava beans are unavailable. Just be sure to defrost and let dry before using.
And while we Oregonians know our petite Oregon strawberries pack incredible flavor, the season is short and they may not be available fresh in your area. You can use local, fresh, ripe berries for this salad.
Mix up a batch of the lemon vinaigrette, the recipe for which we’ve also included, and keep some in the fridge for as a dressing or marinade for other dishes as well.
Many thanks to Chef Luis and Altabira!
Fava Bean and Strawberry Salad
- 4 cups fava beans, blanched and picked
- 4 cups fresh Oregon strawberries, stemmed and cut in half
- 1 cup shaved Pecorino Romano
- 1 cup lemon vinaigrette (recipe below)
- Pea tendrils
- Zest of two lemons
- Blanch fava beans in heavily salted water for one minute, immediately plunge into ice water. Once cool pick of outer tough skin and discard. Place picked fava beans in a colander and drain.
- Wash fresh Oregon strawberries and cut off stems. Cut berries in half and place in colander to drain.
- Shave Pecorino cheese with a vegetable peeler, set aside.
- Place fava beans and strawberries in a clean mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper.
- Dress with lemon vinaigrette.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Place tossed fava beans and strawberries on serving platter, sprinkle shaved Pecorino cheese on top.
- Micro plane fresh lemon zest over top.
- Garnish with fresh pea tendrils and serve.
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup champagne vinegar
- 1 shallot, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Zest of 3 lemons
- Place lemon juice, champagne vinegar, chopped shallot, salt, pepper, chopped thyme, and lemon zest in blender bowl.
- Start on low speed to combine, slowly turn up the speed to medium and slowly add in the oil until fully emulsified.
- Altabira City Tavern, Hotel Eastlund, Portland, www.altabira.com
- See our article on Altabira City Tavern here.
- Also on our site: Pullman Wine Bar: Wine Bar with an Old World Surprise
-Cover photo by Nancy Zaffaro.