Here, Chef Miles Essery shares his recipe for Everybody’s Brewing’s home-style macaroni and cheese. It’s a pub favorite and was comfort food indulgence on a recent trip to White Salmon, Washington. Yes, we know there’s a lot of good mac & cheese out there. But this version has just the right bite to the (large-size elbow) pasta, just the right creamy-gooey-ness, and just the right crispy breadcrumb topping. (I went all out for the diced ham and the bacon options.) Try it at home for dinner on a cold winter evening—and enjoy for lunch the next day!
Everybody’s Brewing recommends pairing this dish with their Local Logger Lager or their Country Boy IPA.
Christine and Doug Ellenberger opened Everybody’s Brewing in 2008 and in addition to making great craft beers, the restaurant is a favorite to locals and visitors alike.
Thanks, Chef Miles and Everybody’s Brewing!
Recipe courtesy Miles Essery and Everybody’s Brewing, White Salmon, Washington.
Everybody’s Brewing Macaroni and Cheese
Makes 5-6 portions
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic puree
- 5 cups whole milk
- 6 cups sharp white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup mixed cheese (try pepper jack & cheddar blend)
- 1/8 cup gorgonzola
- 1/8 cup Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- 16 ounces of your favorite short pasta
- 1 cup panko or bread crumbs
- Optional: diced ham, diced bacon, sliced jalapenos
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook pasta to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While cooking the pasta, in a separate sauce pan:
- Melt butter, add garlic, then flour
- Add milk in small amounts keeping mixture thick and stirring
- When all milk is added and the flour is cooked down, stir in cheese and let melt and stir
- The sauce is done when all the cheese is no longer stringy
- STIR. STIR! Don’t stop stirring!
- Place cooked pasta in a baking dish and pour cheese sauce over the noodles. Top with extra cheese and bread crumbs and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Everybody’s Brewing, everybodysbrewing.com
- More cheese, please! Try Everybody’s Brewing recipe for Beer Cheese Soup.
- Take a look at things to do in White Salmon and the Columbia River Gorge.
– Cover photo by Nancy Zaffaro; other photos courtesy Everybody’s Brewing.
I just discovered your website and read some blogs and I can’t stop myself from contacting you and giving you a big Thumbs Up for the quality work that you’ve been doing.
I am also writing about (healthy food) these days and I’ve written an article on the topics
I’ll be very honoured If you post my article on your blog.
Please let me know what you think, I can send the article today.
Thank you for your kind words and for your interest in working with us. I’ve sent you an email with our writer’s guidelines and more about what we do.
All my best,