Oh, winter! Winter is here again, and is it too chilly for you? If so, we have the perfect remedy in the form of two magical ingredients that’ll make you’re winter a winter wonderland. If you guessed alcohol and chocolate, you guessed it right. So snuggle in and raise your cocktail glasses as we present to you a selection of world-class chocolate cocktails, letting these spirits lift yours too.
Death by Chocolate Martini
Let us begin with the all-time favorite martini with a twist! Your traditional drink with a dash of chocolate is undoubtedly heaven in a glass and here’s how you can make it.
- Cocoa powder
- 2 parts chocolate liqueur
- 1 part vodka
- 1 part half and a half: a mixture of milk and cream
- Presentation is key, so first dip the rim of the martini glass first into a plate of a few tablespoons of chocolate liqueur and then into cocoa powder and keep it aside to set.
- Now, add all the ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake for about 20 seconds. In case you don’t have a cocktail shaker, a blender will work just fine too.
How can any cocktail menu be complete without an exotic margarita? Let’s take this cocktail to a whole new level with chocolate.
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce chocolate liqueur
- 1 ounce cream or half and half
- Splash of fresh orange juice and lime juice
- Dash of chocolate bitters
- Chocolate Shavings
- Cocoa powder
- Rim a chilled margarita glass with a mixture of sugar and cocoa in 1:1 ratio.
- Pour the remaining ingredients into a blender with a cup of ice and blend till the texture is smooth.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared glass and garnish with chocolate shavings for that extra touch.
Hot Cocoa for Hot Chocolate Lovers
Here’s a marvelous alcohol-based hot chocolate recipe that will keep you cozy and happy like no other.
- 2 oz Drambuie
- 9 oz hot milk
- 3 oz hot cocoa mix
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt: It is a type of coarse-grained salt. If unavailable even regular or iodized salt can be used.
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat.
- Stir slowly and let it boil on a simmered flame for a while.
- Serve hot with some marshmallows.
Spicy Red Wine Hot Chocolate
Who knew two of your most favorite things wine and chocolate would work so well together? Be amazed by what this cocktail can do to your taste buds.
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate chips
- ¾ cup red wine
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and add the milk and dark chocolate chunks.
- Whisk constantly until the chocolate melts into the milk completely.
- Add the pepper and cinnamon and whisk further.
- Pour in the red wine and heat until the entire mixture is hot.
- For the garnish top with whipped cream and enjoy!
Skinny White Russian
For calorie counters, this take on a traditional White Russian is the skinny kind! Put your chocolate to good use through this cocktail.
- 1-ounce vodka
- 2 ounces coffee whiskey, such as Kahlua
- Sugar-free dark chocolate chunks
- 2 ounces soy creamer. You could use more or less, depending on how strong you prefer your cocktail
- Sugar-free caramel syrup
- Dip the glass in the caramel syrup and set aside.
- Add all ingredients to the glass with ice and stir thoroughly till they combine.
A Two-ingredient Chili Chocolate Sombrero
Here’s a special number for all you couch potatoes! All you need is two simple ingredients to make the perfect drink.
- 1-part Kahlua chili chocolate
- Simply pour milk over the chocolate, wait for a while and enjoy! Easy peasy right?
Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog Chocolate Mudslide
How can any holiday be complete without good old eggnog? Here’s a signature drink from Pennsylvania Dutch Eggnog.
- ¼ cup refrigerated Pennsylvania Dutch eggnog (See below for a resource!)
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur
- Also 2 tablespoons Irish cream liqueur
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- Chunks of milk chocolate
- 1 cup ice
- Process all the ingredients in a blender and blend until frothy.
- Serve with a sprinkle of nutmeg.
Just remember; the key to making the best cocktails is using the superior quality alcohol. Why head outdoors to the bar when you can make these winter chocolate cocktail right at home with your friends and family. Sit back, “wine” a little, and laugh a lot this winter while sipping on some sinfully exquisite libations!
- Here’s a source for Pennsylvania Dutch Eggnog: Pennsylvania Dutch Eggnog
- On our site: Salon du Chocolat: Celebrating International Chocolates
- On our site: Charleston’s Cocoa Academic: A Leader in the Bean to Bar Movement